Thursday, November 29, 2012

38 fucking degrees!

That's how hot it was in Melbourne today. That's 12 degrees below half way to the boiling point of water. Yeah, Americans. Don't laugh at celsius. It'll fuck your shit up.

Anyway, I'm laying on the sofa (with Jae on the other one) with a portable airconditioner and 3 fans working to keep us cool enough to get to sleep. Why? Because the air con in our building exploded from overuse today. I've got a 2 litre bottle of ice behind my pillow and a sock full of ice down my shirt. Last time Jae tried to take my sock I growled at him. I'm pretty sure my cat has melted, and I'm having trouble writing in full sentences.

The worst part is that this is an omen. The first days of summer (technically not even summer yet) being like this means that we're going to have some 40+ days in January. *Le sigh*.

Don't talk to me about wasting energy. We had a guy come visit our building and talk to all of us about other ways to keep our apartments cool without using too much power. Then we invited him up to our apartment (just after the air con incident) and let him make full use of our fans, air con and fridge full of beer. Apparently the poor guy had to walk around handing out pamphlets.

The air con exploding was quite spectacular. It had stopped working, and so a few of us went to see if anything was the matter with the main unit. Then some one turned on their air con and it went bang! No-one was hurt, but there was a lot of smoke. Now we have to wait for a new air conditioner, because this is the sort of thing that makes tenants leave.

I've added some new stuff I bought to the giveaway prize list, so go check that out!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to refreeze my sock.

No comments:

Post a Comment