Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Halloween Costumes made from stuff in your closet

I love making my Halloween costumes. Every year, I sit for hours in front of my ancient sewing machine, but some people don't have time for that. So, here is a list of costumes you can throw together with common, relatively cheap clothes.


Superspy:















What you need:
Trench Coat. They've been a big trend recently, so many people have them, and if you don't, you can still buy them most places.
Shirt. Anything that is hidden under your coat.
Either a pair of stockings or a pair of dress pants, depending on your modesty and length of your trench coat (for example, mine is just a little too short for the stockings, in my opinion)
Pair of shorts that fit invisibly under your trench coat, if you're going for the stockings look.
Pair of boots.
Hat. You can see the sort I mean in the picture (it's about the only thing you can see). Think Carmen Sandiego and you're on the right track.
Big sunglasses.

I found this one easy to throw together, because honestly, with a pair of jeans, this is how I look pretty much all the time.


Barbie:















What you need:
A sundress. Preferably something in pink.
Makeup. I'm not wearing any in the picture because I'm lazy.
High Heeled shoes.

Like I said, make up is pretty important for this one. As is a plastic smile, which I didn't quite manage in the picture.


Nerd:















What you need:
A nerdy t-shirt.
Jeans.
Glasses (optional, but recommended)
Thick book.
Any shoes.

I suggest a physics textbook or similar. I'm using JRR Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. Suspenders are a good addition to this outfit, but sadly I couldn't find my piano keys ones.


I may post more, but I'll have to go through my closet first. Good luck trying these costumes out!

4 comments:

  1. I spy a school dress! Apparently 'schoolgirl' counts as a costume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. The things that live in my parents house. I would have gone with School girl, but my dress is (still) a sack on me :)

      Delete
  2. And on the ninth day, God created safety pins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took god nine days? Certainly a male, then :)

      Delete